Friday, January 13, 2012

Birthdays on the Mind

My wonderful husband turned 27 on January 3rd. (I can't believe we are getting that old.) I'm convinced that early January birthdays are the worst. It is after the hustle and bustle of Christmas and the party planning of New Years. Not to mention that your holiday break is usually over by then and it's back to work or school. For this reason, I always try my best to do up his birthday. And this year was no exception.

In June of 2009, Phillip and I went backpacking through Europe. Thus began our love for biking. We always said that once he was out of school, and we had the money, then we would buy bikes. We discussed getting them for Christmas, but we opted to upgrade our 32 inch TV to a 50 incher, which we are enjoying greatly. I knew a bike would be an awesome birthday gift, and it would be unexpected.

Buying a new mountain bike was out of the question, as the price tag far exceeded my budget. I enlisted the help from my cousins Nicky and Dale (AKA biker extraordinaires). They suggested I buy used, and after searching Craigslist a couple of days, I found the perfect bike. The only problem was that the bike was in Cooksville, TN, which is an hour and a half from Antioch. We had only been back in town 2 days from traveling to Atlanta and Chattanooga, and I wasn't sure Hutson had a 3 hour trip in him. But, I could get a barely ridden bike that originally retailed for $440, for only $125. So, I had to try.

I called the seller and negotiated the price down to $100. We made an appointment to meet later that day, and I packed up Hutson and headed for the car. If you have seen my car recently, you know that I drive a Toyota Avalon. Despite being a full size sedan, there was no way I was getting a bike into that car. So, I call the seller back and set up an appointment for the next day.

That night I asked Phillip if we could switch cars tomorrow. I immediately got 20 questions I wasn't prepared to answer, since I cannot lie. So, I turned my face away and let him lead himself into thinking I was getting him a UGA license plate for his car. I woke up the next morning, rushed through breakfast, got Hutson ready, headed out to the car and saw my car sitting in the driveway. Seriously!?!? Then I started thinking maybe this was not meant to be. I sent Phillip a text at work that expressed my frustration with the situation. The guilt and remorse he felt only made me want to surprise him even more. So, I called the seller to schedule a third appointment to meet. (I'm pretty sure he thought I was the craziest person ever.)

Trial three was a great success. Well, only in the sense that I brought the bike home safely. Hutson napped great all the way there and screamed all the way back. We stopped twice on the way home to get out and play, since all of his CD's were in my car along with the DVD player. (Rookie mistake). But, the 3 hour trip along with all the planning and stress were well worth it to see Phillip's reaction when I showed him his bike (a couple days before his birthday because I was just too excited I couldn't wait). He spent the night singing, "Bicycle, bicycle, I want to ride my bicycle."

On January 3rd I made Phillip a cheesecake, as I do every year for his birthday, but this year I added strawberries.



We had our fabulous baby sitter (Aunt Missy) lined up, so Phillip and I could go out and celebrate, but unfortunately Phillip was sick. So, plan B was poppysead chicken and Sister Schubert rolls. He was feeling good enough to try out his new ride though.



The real celebration was at Ichiban for Sushi with Missy, Ned, and great friends, Amanda, Bobby, Whit, Justin, Clair, Kim, Danny, Todd, and Julia. It was so great to catch up with everyone and experience my first drink at a bar in downtown Nashville. Yes, I have lived here 6 months, but a 10 month old doesn't allow you to get out much.

Then Wednesday night when Phillip came home from work, he immediately put the trash outside for pick up the next morning. He came back inside and said, "Alex, What's that noise." I looked at him like he was crazy and said. "That's the garage door sweetie. You just closed it." He said no and went into the garage. My curiosity was growing and I just had to follow him. It took me a minute to process, but I found this waiting for me.



My favorite part is the basket! I knew he was looking for a bike for me for my birthday, which is not until February, but was shocked that he found one so soon. Now we need to get a seat for Hutson, and we are ready to cruise. I am so excited!!

Now, I must begin planning the big first birthday bash at the end of February. Where has this year gone? And that's why I have birthdays on my mind today.

No comments:

Post a Comment